Laggy text input, and incorrect page counting

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
dcloues

Laggy text input, and incorrect page counting

Post by dcloues »

Greetings,

I'm experiencing two glitches in an otherwise fantastic piece of software. Unfortunately, one of them is pretty much a showstopper for me. It seems that in any sufficiently long document (10 pages or so), text input becomes incredibly slow, to the point of being unusable. I type pretty fast, but not superhuman by any stretch of the imagination, and I've never seen a word processor struggle to keep up. It's not uncommon to wait 5 seconds for NWP to finish displaying a sentence that I typed.

The second problem concerns page numbers. I have a document that's currently 13 pages long. When I'm entering text on the first page, the status indicator at the lower left shows the correct count: 1/13. As I scroll through the document, though, the page count increases. On the last (13th) page, it reads 13/16. The auto page number in the header is correct, however. Strange, but certainly not the end of the world.

These problems both occur on my PB G4 12", 1.5ghz, 1.25GB ram, running Leopard and NWP 1.0.2. I can't recall whether they occurred in the 1.0.2 beta.

If anyone has experience (and possibly resolved?) these issues, I'd greatly appreciate any help with them. Thanks!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Could you send in the slow and incorrectly numbered document to us using the menu Help > Send Feedback? We can have a look and see what the problem might be.
dcloues

Post by dcloues »

I just sent the feedback, and included the document. I noticed the AppleSpell service taking up a lot of cpu time whenever NWP lagged; disabling automatic spell-checking made the lag a little better. I've never seen it thrash this badly, though, and I've used NWP (and, previously, NWE) for numerous papers in the past. Maybe something changed in Leopard?

Working in fullscreen mode also seems to help a bit. I suspect that might have something to do with not needing to handle the layout for the footnotes and endnotes, but that's just conjecture.

Thanks for your help!
mistertea

Lagging text input

Post by mistertea »

I too am experiencing a terribly slow and irritating lagging in text input. Is this something related to memory? It seems to be somewhat less pokey if I restart and run just NisusWriterPro. But I usually also have to run Mail, Acrobat and Safari at the same time.
Richard
iBook G4 1.33 80megHD Leopard, NWP 1.02
Richard C. Taylor
Marquette University
iBook G4 1.33, Leopard
dcloues

Post by dcloues »

Perhaps it's related to the fact that we're both running Leopard?

I have 1.25GB of memory in my powerbook, and this input occurs when NWP is the only running application. Activity Monitor shows a large amount of free memory. It's kind of maddening.

I did a search in the Console for logs related to Nisus, and there's an absolutely staggering amount of errors (about a thousand per minute...). They all include the text 'invalid context.'
mistertea

Leopard the problem for slowness?

Post by mistertea »

Leopard the problem for slowness? Quite possibly since I did not have this problem to such severity before installing Leopard.
I wonder whether anyone with Dual Core machines has the problem.
Generally, however, when I reboot and run NisusWriterPro alone the problem is not there for me.
I'll have to check this out on my G5 iMac which has not been upgraded to Leopard.
Richard
Richard C. Taylor
Marquette University
iBook G4 1.33, Leopard
scannerdarkly

lagging text input

Post by scannerdarkly »

I'm running os 10.4.11, and I've also had this problem in a number of documents — the lag between keyboard input and text on screen becomes extremely slow, with high CPU spikes. But performance is fine with most docs. Sometimes the problem seems related to a paragraph mark that's standing alone, like I've hit return but didn't enter any text. In one document the problem seemed to start after I had entered a page break. I haven't checked console logs yet.

Nick
Candace

horrible lag time -- leopard plus G4 plus Nisus Pro?

Post by Candace »

I just installed Leopard on my G4 iMac, and all of a sudden Nisus Pro is in slow motion. This is true even in very short documents.

Is there any help or hope for me, or do I need to go buy a big monitor for my iBook? Thx.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

The first thing to check is to make sure you're running the latest NWP, version 1.0.2. I think everyone here is already doing that, but I want to be sure if anyone else stumbles on this thread.

After that we're not entirely sure what's causing this for some users. I've been in touch with one user via email and it turned out his copy of Nisus Thesaurus was triggering the issue. After trashing it there were no problems. I've not heard back yet if reinstalling a fresh copy brings the problem back.

In any case, if you're experiencing slowness issues after upgrading to Leopard, please send a feedback report via the menu Help > Send Feedback. It would help to have a sample document and an explanation of what activities trigger the slowdown. Thanks everyone.
dcloues

Post by dcloues »

I tried trashing my copy of Nisus Thesaurus, but with no luck - input is still very laggy. I'm on break from college, so now that I'm not utterly dependent upon NWP for my daily activities, I'll play around with it some more and see if I can find anything else out. It doesn't occur with all of my documents, so I'll see if I can find a pattern.